With this post, I start a new series of articles for beginners and even for those who are just thinking about joining fashion.
There are so many small details that seem obvious for experienced designers, but can be a stumbling block for beginners, and I want to share these details. My goal is to inspire and give confidence to people who want to join this industry. Very often for some reason, if young men ask these questions “Can I become a fashion designer?” or, “How can I become a fashion designer?” they receive the same answer.
Before we point this out, I want to tell you short story:
I wanted to get a dog, it specifically had to be a Husky. I dreamed about these wolf-like dogs so much! So, I started to look for any information about dogs, dog training, and breeds. Once I learned it all, I found a local forum of breeders and owners of Huskies. Someone had already created a topic called “can you give me some advice on getting a Husky?”, I opened it …And instead of advice, information or encouragement, I found:
- “We have the feeling that you like these dogs just because of their popularity in the movies. We don’t think you can raise them; it is hard work.”
Oh…wow. That seemed a little harsh Later on, I noticed the same attitude of the owners of other rare or interesting breeds. Maybe owning such a dog can make one feel unique and almost arrogant. The same is true with those in the fashion design industry. Probably, you would hear an answer like “It’s a tough, competitive business. There is no place for the weak. It is all about connections and relationships.” Ok, it is, but it does not mean you have no place in this industry. And do not forget: everyone sees what he wants to. Where one person sees tough business, another would see dynamic, creative activity.
For those who want to become a fashion designer, but doubts it, I want to tell a few things:
- Fashion designer is a creative profession, but it requires a lot of work. The result may not come immediately.
- In real life, it’s not as shown on TV. Glamour, parties and pictures with the celebrities – this is not something that should be your motivation.
- But if you want to give something to the world, if you want to create a piece of an art or just express yourself - it is definitely your place.
- To be a fashion designer is a really creative and interesting way to develop yourself, and spend your lifetime.
Versace A/W ’12 at Milan fashion week, fashionising.com.